|First three gelatin prints.|
This was my first print. The only purpose was to get the feel of rolling the paint onto the plate. Of course I will save it for future uses, like a background page for an art journal. I only used 3 colors of craft paint for all of today's prints. I didn't want to be overwhelmed by too many color choices.
So now that I had the hang of it, it was time to have some fun. See the fine scratches? Those are caused by the edges of my small brayer digging in. That is not the ideal thing but I couldn't seem to prevent it. Next time I'll buy the larger brayer.
I like that the yarn I used left it's own print in the middle of the white edges. The first time I tried yarn it worked great and stayed where I put it. I could not duplicate this effect in future tries.
When the paint got too dry I misted it with water from a spray bottle.
|The Accidental Heart|
Once I put the prints on my computer and could do some editing I discovered a happy accident. This print had a theme of purple hearts. Imagine my surprise when I realized during computer editing that there was a big accidental purple heart in the center. So this became my new favorite print (see above). The border of tiny hearts was made with a heart shaped hole punch on a piece of paper. The big faint heart in the upper right was a foam stamp I cut with scissors. The other hearts were made with a tiny heart shaped eraser used like a rubber stamp.
|I always make at least two prints from each color combination. Then I clean the plate with an alcohol wipe.|
|This way looks like a tall roller coaster. Which way do you like better?|
|At first I named this 'Sloppy Heart' but the more I look at it the more it looks like a big strawberry.|
|I think this is the ghost print of the one above. Notice how different it looks.|
|This was my favorite print today until I saw the one with the heart.|
|Elephant ghost print|
I had cut the ankh out of textured foam. I tried to stamp it onto the wet paint but it didn't work well.
|I used the ankh to stamp the image on paper. |
Then I cut it out and used it as a mask.
This worked but I didn't roll enough paint around the upper left.
The paper kept lifting and so I quit
while I was ahead.
|I think I can save this with some white paint.|
|This happened when I forgot to peel off the mask before printing.|