Thursday, January 19, 2012

Cutting Mat Board

One of the purposes of my blogs is to help other artists to learn from my mistakes.
Today I needed to cut two pieces of mat board for my square foot paintings.  So I carefully measured my mat board using a 12" x 12" blank canvas board for my template. Remember, the window in the mat board must be slightly smaller than the piece of art, so it doesn't fall out of the frame. Well, I knew this of course and measured very carefully.  And that black mat fit that 12" x 12" board perfectly.  So I went ahead and used the same measurements for the gray mat board.

The problem came when I took my painting, and laid the mat board on top of it. I had forgotten that every painting has a 1/2" white strip around it from the tape.  So now, a smidgen of that white margin shows no matter how I place the mat board. It's things like this that make me want to run screaming into the night.


No comments: