Sunday, February 13, 2005

Weekend update

Reading:
The Dragonbone Chair by Tad Williams

Archery:
The Mile Square Park archery range was still pretty marshy from yesterday's rains. The good side of that is there was ample parking and I had the entire range to myself. I broke one arrow beyond repair, so I cut it off short to use as a hat ornament. I shot 100 arrows from the 20, 30 and 40 yard markers. I didn't even hit the paper plate from 40. Definately have to try that before my hand gets fatigued.

Gourds:
I've been staring at this one large canteen gourd all day, trying to figure out how to paint a band of horses around it's girth.

Giraffes:
I watched a PBS special on giraffes today. Learned some facts I didn't know, like when a baby is born, his soft horns are plastered to his head, so as to make delivery easier. And the hooves have a soft gelatin all around them. Baby giraffes have to stand within the first 20 minutes of birth to protect them from predators. Giraffes communicate with a series of sounds so low we cannot hear them with human ears. The sounds carry over great distance to other giraffes. A giraffe's heart is 2 feet long.

Well, that's how my weekend went. Hope you all had a good one.

No comments: